Saturday 9 January 2010

Pride

I'd like to thank my Mom for sending me magazines from Jakarta; because of course the content would be different to magazines in the UK.

"...one of them covers this year's Jakarta Fashion Week..."

That was mainly the reason why she sent them to me :)

As I was flicking through 'Femina, Edisi Tahunan 2010', I found a page that has images from a runway show. I realised that the models are wearing batik; and I thought that they must be from Jakarta Fashion Week. However, it seems that the photos are different from the images I saw from the Fashion Week the year before; starting from the make up on the models, the catwalk, even the style of photography. So I looked more closely and saw the designers' names; and it turned out that one of them is Dries Van Noten!

This Belgian designer included - not only tints of batik - but the whole fabric as the actual garments.



A blouse with big 'parang' pattern



Smaller 'parang' pattern on a dress

I was really proud when I saw this :)
But one question came to my mind,

If anything, I don't see that his designs are more special than any Indonesian designers who have been recycling batik as ready-to-wear fashion for years now; then how come they don't get that much recognition?

No comments: