Wednesday 2 February 2011

Mysteries of the Mind



Maison Martin Margiela's collections are so conceptual. In an interview, the mysterious Martin Margiela himself was described as someone who "counted the brain as part of the human figure". As the brief requires us to design based on the identity and fashion philosophy of our chosen designer/brand, I looked deeper into the quote....and I was hooked. Obsessed.

~~

I chose the human brain as my main theme. I've already started researching into different theories and scientific explanations of how the brain works - specifically in understanding things. I was mainly drawn to this quote by Nietzsche:

"But how could we possibly explain anything? We operate only with things that do not exist: lines, planes, bodies, atoms, divisible time spans, divisible spaces. How should explanation be at all possible when we first turn everything into an image, our image!"


It's just so interesting how our minds are inevitably biased. Whenever you hear a description of some sort, the image that appears in your mind and the image thought by the person next to you can never be the same.

This, led me to the idea of mind trick. Remember those brain teaser images that became so popular a few years ago? You would usually get those in chain mails forwarded by your parents/aunts/uncles because they had nothing to do they think they're so annoyingly fun. Remember?

You must know this one then, just as an example:

Then, this image brought me to Surrealism Art (like those by Mr. Dali & M.C. Hammer Escher).


To begin the design process, I want to highlight the dual personality of the brain; it's so mighty that it makes you function, makes you live, think rationally, and what not. However, it can also be spontaneous, lose it's own control even just for a split second like being deceived by images such as this one.

Well, this is just the beginning, I have 2-3 weeks to turn this idea into 25 shirt designs and 25 trousers designs. Then I'd have to choose 1 from each and actually make them :) YAY TAILORING!

By the way, I'd like to thank these people for giving me suggestions. I appreciate them a lot, but I had this idea going on in my head already. So... so looooong suckerssss! :*




Wish me luck!



No comments: